An experiential program designed to complement student’s primary area of study and provide professional development training to support student’s career goals. Students personalize their experience through course selection, internship choices, and connecting with professionals. Those in the program gain knowledge of the music industry and the skills to become a leader in the field. Applications are due each September.
Who is the Certificate For?
Any Eastman student who wishes to be a leader and change-agent in the community and the world. Accepted students are curious about career opportunities, balance performance skills with transferrable skills, are advocates for the arts, and are adaptable in an ever-changing world.
Undergraduates apply during at the start of their junior year, masters during their first semester, and doctorates during first or third semester.
What Do You Receive?
- Two paid, for-credit internships in the U.S & around the world
- Access to special funding to support professional development (including 2 years after graduation)
- Pre-registration for Arts Leadership courses
- Personalized advising sessions and support during school and after graduation
- Specialized meetings with inspiring guest speakers and professionals
- A cohort of like-minded individuals that will offer support and guidance
- Alumni access to retreats, networking, and career resources
What are the Certificate Requirements?
During this 2-year program, you are asked to complete:
- 4 credits of ALC courses (using a minimum of 3 courses)
- Receive a B or above in any ALC course to receive credit
- 2 semesters of internships at a minimum of 85 hours each
- 3-4 advising sessions or meetings per semester
- 1 special event (at Eastman, UR or virtually!) per semester
What Do Certificate Alumni Do?
A little bit of everything! Explore our Alumni Journey database to see the projects, roles, performances, and engagements are graduates are involved in!
Click the button below to view the database.
How Do I Join?
Every year, applications for the Arts Leadership Certificate are accepted over the summer and through the first few weeks of the Fall Semester. Applications will be reviewed and finalized by the end of September. Learn more about the application and timeline here!
Prior Internship Hosts
Example host organizations we have successfully placed ALP Certificate interns in include:
- Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra
- Eastman Community Music School
- ROCMusic Collaborative
- Joseph Avenue Arts Alliance
- Gateways Music Festival
- Pegasus Early Music
- US Army Band Pershing’s Own
- Sarasota Opera
- UR Health Services
- Alarm Will Sound
- Boston Lyric Opera
- Third Coast Percussion
- Eighth Blackbird
- Bowdoin Festival
- and more!
Current ALP Students, Faculty and Host Organizations. For those currently engaged with the ALP Certificate, you can find further information, details, and forms on Intranet. Please login here to access.