About the Eastman Leadership Academy
NEW! Dates for 2019: June 26-29
We recognize that success as a professional musician requires more than superb technique and artistry. Success also requires the ability to communicate effectively, skills to advocate for music and the arts, an entrepreneurial mindset, commitment to fill meaningful and relevant roles in our communities – essentially, a robust portfolio of leadership skills.
The fundamental goals of the Eastman Leadership Academy are to inspire students with a personal vision, to equip them with the professional skills and experiences that will allow them to take charge of their career prospects, to encourage them to provide leadership in the musical culture and marketplace, and to enable them to create a positive difference in their communities through meaningful careers in music.
Through intense study, interactive presentations, collaborative learning activities, discussion, reflection, and ongoing engagement, we will enhance our leadership effectiveness, develop new perspectives, and acquire skills and tools to be effective leaders in a variety of traditional and nontraditional careers and organizations.
- Identify and analyze the most critical issues and challenges facing musicians and musical arts organizations now and in the future
- Develop successful strategies for implementing initiatives designed to meet these challenges
- Develop career skills that complement musical skills
- Explore and implement best practices for effective leadership in music
- Understand the leader’s role in fulfilling the vision of a musical arts organization
- Develop skills for building, leading and engaging successful teams
- Demonstrate an understanding of the essential operational and business components of musical organizations
Who Should Attend
The Eastman Leadership Academy accepts applications from rising juniors, seniors, and graduate students enrolled in music degree programs who have demonstrated leadership experience and seek to develop careers that are impactful to their communities and the musical arts. Participants will engage with similarly passionate and dedicated musicians while focusing on topics such as innovation in the arts, application of entrepreneurial thinking and business skills, and crafting a personal mission. Students will collaborate with leading musicians, educators, and leaders in learning activities designed to be immersive, interactive, and participatory. Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a certificate recognizing their participation in the program.