What is the IML Grant and Mentorship Program?
The IML Grant and Mentorship Program provides students with opportunities to receive funding and mentorship to encourage new thinking and the development of innovative ideas in music. Successful recipients demonstrate creativity, innovation, uniqueness, passion, added value to the music field and their own communities, and the potential for sustainable initiatives and projects. The application deadlines are October 1st for projects to be completed no later than the start of the next academic year and March 1st for projects to be completed no later than the end of the next academic year.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Full-time, matriculated Eastman School of Music and University of Rochester students
- Students (or the lead student in a collaborative project) must be enrolled for the duration of the award period
When is the application deadline?
- October 1st for projects to be completed no later than the start of the next academic year. Awards will be announced by November 1.
- March 1st for projects to be completed no later than the end of the next academic year. Awards will be announced by April 1.
What criteria are applied to assess IML Grant proposals?
- Musical excellence
- An inspired project concept/artistic mission
- Projects that provide value to the music field and the community
- Projects that have potential for sustainability
- Project Teams that demonstrate capacity (i.e. realistic budget, required professional and personal skills, access to resources, partners/collaboration, appropriate authority/permission)
What is the mentorship component of the award?
The lead students for each project will participate in four one-hour mentorship workshops during the duration of the award period. Workshops are mandatory and focus on these topics:
- Assessing the value and feasibility of your project
- Developing capacity for implementation
- Designing implementation steps
- Assessing implementation
What is the monetary size of the award?
There is not a specific amount for awards, but most are in the range of $500
How is the award money distributed?
Awards are distributed as reimbursement for approved project expenses. Original receipts must be submitted by the Project Leader to receive reimbursement. Services provided by others in support of your project (either a company or an individual) must invoiced by and be paid directly to the service provider by Eastman/ the University of Rochester.
How many award winners are chosen?
The number of award winners is determined by the quality of the proposals and the program budget of any particular year.
Who chooses the winners?
The IML Grant and Mentorship Committee, which is composed of staff and faculty members. The Committee reserves the right not to choose any award winners in a given year.
How do I submit an application?
Who should I ask if I have additional questions?
Please visit the Institute for Music Leadership Office (Miller Center First Floor, near the bookstore) or contact us at email@example.com.