Eastman / ArtistShare New Artists FAQ
Who is eligible to apply?
Current Eastman students who are enrolled full-time in an Eastman degree program, and Eastman alumni may apply.
When is the application deadline?
Annually on October 1.
How many Eastman/ArtistShare® New Artists will be chosen?
We expect to choose one student and one alumni winner annually.
What does it mean for me to be selected an Eastman/ArtistShare® New Artist?
You will be part of a very special family of professional artists. The ArtistShare® roster includes some of today’s most prestigious artists including Pulitzer Prize and Oscar nominated writers, Guggenheim fellowship recipients, Doris Duke Foundation Recipients, Grammy winners and NEA Jazz Masters. Eastman students and alumni chosen as Eastman/ArtistShare® New Artists share and continue an impactful relationship with an esteemed group of colleagues, including Eastman alum composer and jazz orchestra leader, Maria Schneider, the first ArtistShare® artist and Grammy Award winner.
What benefits will Eastman/ArtistShare® New Artists receive?
- Promotion and support of their creative projects through the network of ArtistShare® fans and ArtistShare® artists
- Opportunity for worldwide commercial recording release through the ArtistShare® label (where applicable)
- Promotion through Eastman publications and website
What responsibilities will Eastman/ArtistShare® New Artists have?
- Work directly with ArtistShare® and complete the agreed project plan within the proposed timeline
- Feature Eastman branding on your project (provided)
- Acknowledge Eastman on all project publications (language provided)
- Provide an article/summary of your Eastman/ArtistShare® project at its conclusion for publication on the Eastman website or other Eastman publication
- Participate in a presentation to an Eastman Arts Leadership Class (in-person or online) about your project
What is a “Project”?
Any creative endeavor where there is a clear end result and a creative process that can be followed by fans. The qualities and indicators of success we look for in a project are:
- Musical excellence (all genres welcome)
- An inspired project concept/artistic mission
- Potential storylines for fan-engagement that could be drawn from the concept
- The style, effort and modes of fan interaction employed currently by the artist
Please visit the Projects on the ArtistShare® website to explore current projects
What are the steps in developing and launching a Project?
- Selected New Artists will receive an official ArtistShare® artist survey to complete.
- ArtistShare® will review the survey and set up a series of creative and business/financial meetings.
- ArtistShare® project manager will work with you to refine your project mission, concept and timeline.
- Once all is agreed on, you will provide the requested materials needed for project launch (video, photos, etc.) and the project launches.
What resources are provided to me as part of my award as I develop my project?
- Project and business consultation through ArtistShare® including conceptual mentorship, video creation consultation and project budgeting/cash-flow planning to the point of project launch.
- ArtistShare® standard promotion services (ArtistShare® newsletter, blog and social media promotion).
What other services may I purchase?
- additional promotional, publicity, and consultation services through ArtistShare®
- Professional video and audio production through ArtistShare®
- Recording services at student rates for onsite audio and video through Eastman
What is the project timeline?
- 2-5 weeks preparation and consultation time
- 6-10 months project execution and funding time
How can I be considered for releasing my recording on the ArtistShare® label?
Once a project is approved, the completed recording is eligible for release on the ArtistShare® label. Recordings that are not part of the project creative process are not eligible for consideration.
How do I apply?
Who should I ask if I have additional questions?
Visit the Institute for Music Leadership Office (Miller Center First Floor, near the bookstore) or contact us at 585-274-1113 or email@example.com.