What is the mission of the IML?
The IML Mission is to be a center to create, share, support, and implement innovative ideas and programs to ensure the relevance and impact of music in today’s world. We strive to engage all Eastman students, faculty, staff, and alumni to think broadly about new ways of making music vital, and to be leaders in the greater musical community of tomorrow.
What does the IML do?
The Institute for Music Leadership provides resources and opportunities for students and professionals to envision, create and sustain successful careers in music, and to be leaders in the greater musical community of tomorrow.
What are the resources and opportunities that the IML provides?
- Courses at Eastman
- 20+ courses on leadership, entrepreneurial thinking, career skills, performance, health for musicians, business skills, and more, are available to all Eastman and University of Rochester students.
- The Arts Leadership Program Certificate provides one-on-one advising and coordinated access to all ALP components, including paid academic year, summer, and post-graduate internships in Rochester and around the world. Eastman and UR students must apply for, and be accepted to, the ALP Certificate program.The Eastman Career and Leadership Certificate: Online is available to both matriculated and non-matriculated students.
Grants and Mentorships
- Several grant and mentorship opportunities are available to Eastman and UR students, and in some cases, alumni and other professional musicians and organizations. These include the IML Grant and Mentorship Program, The Eastman/ArtistShare Partnership, The Paul R. Judy Grant Program.
Master’s Degree Program
- The Master of Arts Degree in Music Leadership prepares artists to be the next generation of executive leaders in both traditional and non-traditional musical organizations. This 14-month professional degree program will enroll its inaugural class in summer 2018.
Career Advising and Professional Resources
- The Office of Careers & Professional Development offers individual advising appointments for students and young alums regarding your résumé, CV, cover letter, other professional documents, interview skills, and career exploration. There are also numerous Online Resources for professional document preparation, searching for opportunities and recommend job boards. You can also reserve space in our new Interview room – a quiet location with video cameras and direct internet connection for your virtual interviews. The Paul R. Judy Center website provides articles, links, tips, videos, and other resources for professional musicians, arts leaders, scholars, and students.